Our daily roundup of retirement news your clients may be thinking about.

Social Security Q&A: How should a higher and lower earner file? A client who has been receiving a bigger income than her spouse is advised to file for her Social Security benefits before reaching full retirement age to allow her husband, who expects to get a smaller retirement benefit, to start getting a spousal benefit, according to this article on Forbes. When he reaches 70, then he can start collecting his own retirement benefit. Meanwhile, when she reaches her full retirement age, she may want to suspend her retirement benefit until she reaches the age of 70 her as well.  --Forbes

Register or login for access to this item and much more

All Bank Investment Consultant content is archived after seven days.

Community members receive:
  • All recent and archived articles
  • Conference offers and updates
  • A full menu of enewsletter options
  • Web seminars, white papers, ebooks

Don't have an account? Register for Free Unlimited Access